|Day 1||Day 2||Day 3||Day 4||Day 5||Day 6|
|Route||Rongai Gate to Caves Camp||Caves Camp to Kikilewa Camp||Kikilewa to Mawenzi Tarn||Mawenzi to Kibo||Summit Uhuru Peak, descend Horombo||Horombo to Marangu Gate|
|4700m||5895m||Descend to 1870m|
|Hrs of trekking||5 hrs||6-7 hrs||4-5 hrs||4-5 hrs||12 – 14 hrs||5-6 hrs|
|Overnight||1st Caves Camp||Kikilewa Camp||Mawenzi Tarn||Kibo||Horombo Hut||Depart Kilimanjaro National Park|
Click Here for a
Free Information Request Form – Tanzania Climbing
About Rongai Route
The appeal of the Rongai Route is its remoteness. Climbers must drive a little further to reach the park gate, which is situated close to neighboring Kenya. Fewer groups climb this route, making for a more secluded and private climbing adventure on Mount Kilimanjaro.
Rongai Route also boasts the most animal sitings on Kilimanjaro, with the chance to spot not only monkeys in the rainforest at the base of the mountain but larger mammals (even elephants!) from a safe distance.
Another reason to climb on the Rongai Route is that it experiences less rain than other sides of Mount Kilimanjaro, making for a more comfortable climb during Tanzania’s rainy seasons.
Rongai Route in detail
Day 1: Trek distance: 8 km, climb to an elevation of 2600m
After a 2-3 hr drive, your trek with the Rongai Route will begin at the Nalemuru Gate. This first day is a relatively easy hike through a local village (called Nale Moru) and then start climbing through a lush forest. This is where you are most likely to see animals such as buffalo and impalas during your climb. You will overnight at First Cave Camp.
Day 2: Trek distance: 9 km, climb to an elevation of 3600 m
After breakfast, you will start trekking toward Kibo Volcano, and climb above the treeline to really feel like you’re on a massive mountain. Kikelewa Camp is located at the Kikelewa Caves, where there is also a pleasant mountain stream.
Day 3: Trek distance: 6 km, climb to an elevation of 4510m
This day is a short but steep climb. You will have superb views of this rugged, wilderness area as you head to Mawenzi Tarn Camp. After reaching camp, climbers are encouraged to participate in an acclimatization to the Mawenzi Volcano, and then descend back to 4330 m to overnight at Mawenzi Tarn camp.
Day 4: Trek distance: 9 km, climb to an elevation of 4700 m
Today you will have a more difficult climb to reach Kibo Hut and experience incredible views on Mount Kilimanjaro. After reaching Kibo Hut (after approximately 6 hrs of hiking) it is recommended that you rest, for you will begin summiting the peak at around midnight the following day.
Day 5: Summit Day Days 5 and 6 follow the same route as Marangu Climb.
Trekking distance: 21 km total, climb to an elevation of 5895 m (Uhuru Peak) and descend to Hormobo Huts (3700 m).
You will begin trekking around midnight, passing through Gilman’s Point and Stella Point to reach Uhuru Peak. The summit trek takes approximately 5-6 hours, as a night climb in an arctic climate. You should summit in time to see an amazing sunrise on the roof of Africa.
Afterward, you will descend to Kibo Huts (approximately 3 hrs trekking), have a brief rest and continue descending to Horombo Huts for overnight (approximately 3 hrs trekking). This will be your last night in Kilimanjaro.
Day 6: Trekking distance: 18 km, decent to Marangu Gate 1870 m.
After breakfast you will descend to Marangu Gate and collect your official Kilimanjaro Gilman’s and Uhuru Peak certificates.
END OF RONGAI TREK
Experience Tanzania with RA Expeditions Ltd, the Safari Experts in Tanzania
- For Machame Route Kilimanjaro climbs, accommodations include Basic Camping.
- This itinerary can be customized, or extended. Please contact us.
- If you like us to arrange your accommodations for the night (s) before and after your Kilimanjaro climb please let us know.
- If you are arriving at Kilimanjaro/Arusha Airport or in Arusha by shuttle bus let us know so we can arrange to meet you on arrival.
- We will be happy to know your travel plans so we can customize this itinerary or any other itinerary for you. We are a full-service company and we will be able to take care of all accommodations: before safari, on safari and after safari; airport and hotel transfers; and internal/regional flights.
- Click here for a complete packing list.
- This itinerary can also be extended (number of days and/or parks/activities) to cover other parks in the northern circuit, Kilimanjaro trek, Meru trek, Oldongo Lengai trek, Usambara Mountains, Zanzibar/Mafia/Dar beach holiday, Southern parks or western safari parks, or either way depending on your needs.
Kilimanjaro Climb Rongai pricing
This climb is available exclusively from RA safaris for as low as $1765 per person*
Couple (2 ppl, sharing) ———$1988, per person
Climbing Group of 4 ————-$1765, per person
*for a group climb minimum of 4 persons, sharing