Breakfast and thereafter Kilimanjaro briefing, afterward you will be picked up and transfer to the Kilimanjaro National Park gate where you will register, commence the climb with your guide and porters. Your first day takes you through the rain forest to the Machame Camp located at an altitude of 9000 feet (2800 meters). After resting you will enjoy a relaxing dinner.
Mount Kilimanjaro is the highest Mountain in Africa and one of the highest volcanoes in the World. It rises to 15,000 feet above the surrounding plains and savannah. In climbing it you will pass from a tropical to an arctic climate in a few days. The surrounding rain forest ensures the fertility of the lush, lower-lying Shamba (country), where the Chagga people cultivate their coffee, maize and bananas.
After breakfast you will leave the glades of the rain forest and follow an ascending path for about 3 hours on the open moorlands to the Shira camp located at an altitude of 12,000 feet (3800m). Enjoy views of the summit cone and the remains of the Shira volcano and plateau.
Hike for around 4 hours though moorland until you ascend past Lava Tower and remains of Lava Tower hut before you get to the scree slope at the foot of the arrow glacier turn right and descend the Barranco valley to the Barranco hut.
Have a leisurely breakfast at Barranco Camp. The day is spent acclimatizing to altitude in preparation for the summit. Trek to Karanga Valley with picnic lunch en route. Dinner and overnight at Karanga Valley Camp. [3 hours]
After breakfast at Karanga Valley Camp. Proceed ascending to Barafu Camp. Picnic lunch en route. Dinner and overnight at Barafu Camp. (4600m)[6 hours]
Make an early rise just after midnight for trekking to the summit. Arrive at Stella Point (5,735m) in time for the sunrise. Then proceed to Uhuru Peak (5895m) and after some relaxation and viewing it is time to commence the descent to Mweka Camp. Picnic lunch and breakfast en route. Celebratory dinner and overnight at Mweka Camp. (3100m)[12 hours]
Breakfast and continue your descend to Mweka gate and collect your certificates for successful trek. You will then be transferred to Arusha town.
END OF SEVEN DAYS TREKING IN MACHAME ROUTE
Note the following:
- The accommodations can be on the basis of Basic Camping (public or private), Permanent Tented Camps, Luxury Mobile Camping, or Lodges (standard to luxury). The accommodations may also vary depending on the locations of good game viewing from season to season. When we know your travel dates we will advise accordingly.
- If you wish to fly from Arusha to Serengeti or Serengeti to Arusha this is possible and we will customize the itinerary accordingly.
- This itinerary can be customized to cover only Ngorongoro and Serengeti or Tarangire, Ngorongoro and Serengeti.
- If you like us to arrange your accommodations for the night (s) before and after safari please let us know.
- If you are arriving at Kilimanjaro/Arusha Airport or in Arusha by shuttle bus let us know so we can arrange meeting you on arrival to make things even smoother.
- We will be happy to know your travel plans so we can customize this itinerary or any other itinerary for you. We are a full service company and we will be able to take care of all accommodations: before safari, on safari and after safari; airport and hotel transfers; and internal/regional flights.
- Click here for packing list. Camping and lodge safari have almost same packing list but in case you have questions let us know.
- This itinerary can also be extended (number of days and/or parks/activities) to cover other parks in the northern circuit, Kilimanjaro trek, Meru trek, Oldongo Lengai trek, Usambara Mountains, Zanzibar/Mafia/Dar beach holiday, Southern parks or western safari parks, or either way depending on your needs.
Its always an adventure!