6 Day Ngorongoro Highlands Trekking, Inclusive of Ngorongoro Crater Game Drive
Day 1: With picnic lunches, drive from Arusha Town to Ngorongoro Conservation Area for game viewing in the Crater floor. In the evening drive to Nainokanoka for dinner and overnight at a campsite. It takes approximately 3 hours to drive from Arusha Town to Ngorongoro.
Day 2: After breakfast we will take picnic lunches, trek to Olmoti Crater Floor and experience a view of the waterfalls. Thereafter we will trek to Empakai via Olbulbul depression. Dinner and overnight at the rim of Empakai Crater. This is the day that the trek starts where the driver leaves you. All luggage will be carried on by donkeys. From Nainokanoka to Empakai takes about seven hours trek. This is the longest trekking day in this itinerary.
Day 3: After breakfast with picnic lunches, descend to the Empakai Crater Floor, and then ascend and trek to Naiyobi Village and on to Elerai Campsite for dinner and overnight. Trekking takes about five hours in total.
Day 4: After breakfast, start trekking to the foot of Oldonyo Lengai where you meet your driver-guide for transfer to Waterfall Campsite for lunch, rest and a visit to the waterfalls. Dinner and overnight at the campsite. Trekking takes about three hours.
Day 5: At approximately 1:00am transfer to the foot of the mountain and start trekking to the top of Oldonyo Lengai Mountain (3-4 hours) and then trek down (3 hours). You may stay at the top for one or two hours to have a view of Mt. Kilimanjaro and Mt. Meru plus all the volcanic highlands. You will be back to the Water Fall Campsite around lunchtime. In the evening drive to Lake Natron where you will see lots of flamingos. Dinner and overnight at Water Falls Campsite.
Day 6: After breakfast drive back to your hotel in Arusha Town. The drive takes 5-6 hours from Lake Natron to Arusha Town.
End of Trek
Note the following:
- If you like us to arrange your accommodations for the night (s) before and after Kili please let us know.
- If you are arriving at Julius Nyerere/Kilimanjaro/Arusha Airport or by a bus let us know so we can arrange meeting you on arrival to make things even smoother.
- We will be happy to know your travel plans so we can customize this itinerary or any other itinerary for you. We are a full service company.
- Click here for packing list. Camping and lodge safari have almost same packing list but in case you have questions let us know.
- This itinerary can also be extended to cover other parks in the western parks, Southern parks, Northern circuit safaris, Kilimanjaro, Meru Trek, Usambara Mountains, Zanzibar beach holiday or either way depending on your needs.