Overlooking Lake Natron and the bush land of Kenya to the north, Ol Donyo Lengai, which means ‘the Mountain of God’ in Maasai, is an active volcano and one of Tanzania’s most spectacular and undiscovered climbs. The volcano erupts sporadically, sending small streams of grey lava down the crater rim and spitting hot ash high into the air. The trek to the top of Lengai is very steep and a true challenge which is attempted only by hikers with good level of fitness.
Three Day Oldonyo Lengai
Day 1: With picnic lunches, drive from Arusha Town to Engaruka Village arriving noontime. After lunch, visit the Engaruka Ruins. In this site you will see lots of ruins of the people believed to have lived there several centuries back. Dinner and overnight at Engaruka Ruins Campsite.
Day 2: After breakfast, drive to Lake Natron for lunch. After lunch walk to the waterfalls and in the evening drive to the lake for flamingo viewing. Dinner and overnight at the campsite.
Day 3: At approximately 1:00am drive to the foot of Mt. Oldonyo Lengai Mountain and then start trekking to the top. The trek to the top takes 3-4 hours and trekking down takes about 3 hours. Upon reaching the top you will take sometime to view the sunrise, Mt. Kilimanjaro, Mt. Meru, all volcano highlands, and the Rift Valley. After lunch at the campsite, drive back to your hotel in Arusha Town.
Note the following:
- If you like us to arrange your accommodations for the night (s) before and after Kili please let us know.
- If you are arriving at Julius Nyerere/Kilimanjaro/Arusha Airport or by a bus let us know so we can arrange meeting you on arrival to make things even smoother.
- We will be happy to know your travel plans so we can customize this itinerary or any other itinerary for you. We are a full service company.
- Click here for packing list. Camping and lodge safari have almost same packing list but in case you have questions let us know.
- This itinerary can also be extended to cover other parks in the western parks, Southern parks, Northern circuit safaris, Kilimanjaro, Meru Trek, Usambara Mountains, Zanzibar beach holiday or either way depending on your needs.